November 16, 2009

Obama shook hands with my friends~

Obama had a town hall meeting with Shanghai students, therefore, many people I know took part in that meeting, and rightfully, sat in the front rows.

Probably my friends didn’t have the chance to ask questions, but a question about whether Chinese should have the freedom to use Twitter still impressed me, that the government would allow this question to be asked since it is something about the freedom of expression, a sensitive topic in China.

Obama answered the question in an indirect but perfect way to ensure that the transcript would be put on the website of Chinese official news agency. I applaud Obama’s attempt to reach out to Chinese student, who will be the future of China. State-run education is still cultivating anti-west mood and a charismatic American president would be really a good way to win support from China’s future.

Today’s students are more docile than those 20 years ago, but they can be the force to make change in China. Obama, the president of change, can make a difference.

New York Times mentioned that all students are hand-picked by the government and most of them are Communist Youth League members. It doesn’t tell a lot. I believe I would have had the chance to be be “hand-picked” if I had been there. They pick us because we study international relations. We could have maverick perspectives, but we won’t bring it up during such high publicity occasion. (One of my friends told me she didn't know this.... It seems people were using their connection to get a ticket)

New York Times should also understand almost every student in China are member of Communist Youth League. If one is not, he/she must have joined the Communist Party. The Youth League is the like the Young Pioneer. We didn’t have a choice to not join it without a risk to be weird and isolated from the others. It, by no means, shows our support for the system and the government. I am still a member of Communist Youth League, by the way, though I have no intention to apply for the party membership whatsoever.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think we are necessiraly in the youth league since we no longer hand in the annual fee...i don't know...

    ---yaqiu

    ReplyDelete